Volunteer Services at The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium
What do the Ocean, Utah, Amazon Rainforest and YOU have in common? Find out today by becoming an adult volunteer at the Loveland Living Planet Aquarium. You don’t have to be an oceanographer or marine biologist – everyone is welcome!Some of the benefits of volunteering include:
- The chance to inspire people to explore, discover and learn about Earth’s diverse ecosystems
- Meet new people and make new friends (with and without claws, feathers and scales)
- A close look at how we care for our plants and animals
- Thanks and smiles from guests around the globe
- Free access to the aquarium while volunteering
- Giving back to this community and state that we love
Volunteer PositionsThe Loveland Living Planet Aquarium has volunteer opportunities in the following areas:
The minimum age to be accepted into the Adult Volunteer Program is 14. For more information on the different positions available and requirements for the specialty, please click on the links above. All participants in the Adult Program begin in the Exhibit Interpreter program, and are allowed to apply to the specialty areas after completing 60 hours as an Exhibit Interpreter.
As new volunteers are brought into the LLPA Volunteer Program, we understand that they may bring with the a specific skill set that can benefit the LLPA areas not listed above. The LLPA Volunteer Program is more than willing to allow volunteers to assist in these areas if there is an interest and/or need. Examples of such volunteers include: grant writing, fundraising, volunteer services, and marketing. Please contact the Volunteer Services Manager if you are interested in assisting in other specialized areas of the LLPA.
Contact Volunteer Services
Volunteer Commitment and Application: Adult Program
Each volunteer will be asked to sign a Volunteer Service Agreement (VSA) prior to being accepted into the Volunteer Program. The VSA is as follows:As a Loveland Living Planet Aquarium volunteer, I agree to:
- Be friendly, courteous, and helpful to LLPA guests, staff, and fellow volunteers.
- Attend New Volunteer Orientation and undertake additional educational training sessions necessary to maintain competency.
- Become familiar with LLPA policies and procedures (written and verbal).
- Perform to the best of my ability to support the LLPA Mission and Vision.
- Maintain appropriate standards of appearance.
- Work a specific schedule designated by the Volunteer Services Manager. I will be prompt and reliable in reporting for my assignment.
- Notify the Volunteer Services Department as early as possible if unable to report to my volunteer assignment.
- Maintain a minimum of one full day shift per month or two half day shifts per month for a duration of six months. I understand that if I apply and am accepted into a specialty position, my duration extends to one year from the date I am accepted.
- Notify the Volunteer Services Manager in writing of resignation or leave of absence.
- Understand that irregular attendance, poor performance, or failure to cooperate with the LLPA Staff and Policies may be subject to disciplinary process.
- Recruit, interview, and place volunteers in positions which are appropriate for the individual (i.e. Exhibit Interpreter, Guest Service Specialist, Education Specialist, Husbandry Specialist, Maintenance and Repair Specialist, and Dive Specialist).
- Provide adequate training, guidance, and supervision.
- Issue each Volunteer an identification badge and uniform.
- Discuss concerns, suggestions or areas of improvement with Volunteers.
- Administer a recognition program through service awards, events and coordination of aquarium-wide activities.
- Provide ongoing support and assistance with Volunteer/Staff relations.
- Administer and provide information regarding opportunities and benefits available for active Volunteers.
- Keep Volunteers informed through newsletters, special mailings, and emails.
- Provide regular feedback on Volunteer performance.
- Provide a written reference pertaining to the Volunteer's experience (hours contributed, length of commitment, job description) when requested.
If you agree to the terms of the VSA, please follow the link below to submit an application to the program.
To learn more about a variety of volunteer opportunities click on the links below.
Whether you have one day or an entire lifetime, we have a volunteer position for you.